Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chaos

I got tagged in that meme thing by Lisa over at Hapa Hopes, but before I do that I need to get something off my chest. It's been festering since last night and I've been stewing on it all day.  My husband has a bookcase addiction.  Allow me to explain.....

Yesterday, my husband and I went to Ikea.  We are lucky to live in the House of Mouse area which has an Ikea to go.  Anyway, we always go there when he's hatching a plan to build something (duh).  This time he decided he needed two big bookcases to go in his man cave.  One was for books (second duh) and  the other was for....*nerd alert*....... his legos.  Husband has a love of Star Wars (playing the new PC game that's out, watching movies, naming our cats after SW characters, etc) and has amassed a collection of SW themed legos. 

This may not seem like such a big deal, but our loveseat was in his man cave (mostly to save space in the living area) and had to be moved out to the living room for said book cases.  He then decided he wanted the recliner that was next to my couch in his man cave as a reading chair.  Fine, this is not worth arguing about.  Whatever.  So we moved the furniture around. 

The problem lies here:  My living room is now bursting at the seams with couch and loveseat.  It's overwhelming the room.  When I had the couch and recliner in there, it was so cozy. Now it looks like beige leather vomit everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.  Plus the setting of the coffee table and TV stand are crooked.  I can't handle it. My brain is saying 'get rid of everything, get a new couch with a chaise lounge attached so it's just one piece of furniture.'  Please, dear Gd, help me..clutter makes me anxious and irritable.  HELP ME!  I'm seriously considering moving the loveseat into his man cave and telling him to suck it up and taking the recliner back.  I was talking to him this morning about it and he said 'Babe, I think you should just suck it up and deal with it.'  Infuriating

Do y'all see this beige vomit?  See how big everything is.  Help me. Please help me. I'll take any advice.

The current setup from the front door.  Should I just add some color?
Looking in from the direction of the kitchen. That's my Jaina cat
This is the couch I want...stick an ottoman in front of that...and I'm set.  It also comes with different color slip covers (yay Ikea!)
His current man cave.  Nerd alert.
Behind the beige vomit. Ignore the Mara on the counter.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm with you...too much big furniture. I think that couch from Ikea with an ottoman would be great, but if that's not an option- can you move the loveseat in front of the sliding door? So that the couches make more of an L shape? OR slide one of the couches to face the sliding door(with the back to the kitchen) creating a little walkway. Another idea(if that doesn't work) is maybe moving the coffee table on an angle. Maybe that would help it feel more open. If you want to add some color, you could add a curtain rod and curtains to the slider in place of the blinds.(not sure if that's an option if you are renting) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shooting for the couch with an ottoman! It's an option once I work some overtime and get that tax return. I tried telling Andrew that it's too much, but of course he wouldn't listen!

      Delete
  2. "clutter makes me anxious and irritable. HELP ME!"

    Uh... okay, sincerely? Nothing causes clutter like a kid. I know this doesn't change your heart's desire, but please be prepared for the anxiety and irritability that will result from getting your heart's desire. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can clean up after a kid. I can't clean up with giant furniture.

      Delete
  3. Second that, for the L shape. -m

    ReplyDelete