Saturday, December 10, 2011

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

So I just realized that I've never given any sort of information on my diagnosis or timeline.  I'll fix that in a minute, but I need to vent first. 

I've had two failed IUIs and I want to see Dr. R before we do anything else.  Obviously, I want to ask if we should try anything different, but I'm also concerned about my right ovary.  It doesn't seem to be very active after the Lap that I had done in September.  Is this decreasing our chances of getting pregnant?  Should we just move on to IVF?  All these questions...and I have to wait until January 10th to see him.  That, my computer friends, is five weeks from now.  I am annoyed...I'm not a new patient here.  I need to get a move on with this, let's go!!  Yes, I know, I'm only 30 and I should, in theory, have plenty of time to have babies, but I have this biological clock that is ticking so loud people in China can probably hear it. January 10th......dammit..

Anyhow, grab a drink and get comfy.  The TTC (trying to conceive) story goes like this:

My husband and I were married on April of 2007 after dating for 4 years.  We started trying to conceive almost immediately, so birth control pills get tossed and away we go!  We thought we'd be pregnant in no time (hahahahaha, Weezys).  So after stopping BCPs, I didn't have a period....for three months.  Concerning?  Yep.  I head to the doctor, who does a fair amount of bloodwork and orders an ultrasound (my first meeting with Mr. Wandy...awwww).  Ultrasound shows my ovaries and they're bling-blinging with what appears to be a string of pearls wrapped around them...crap.  Diagnosis is up and I have PCOS, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Instead of ovulating every month, my body likes to hold onto the egg and make it a cyst, which produces messed up hormones.  We jumpstart my cycle with Provera (I think) and I"m put on meds that I'm going to have to take for the rest of my life to ovulate.  Umm..what?  I'm 26 and I have to take medication for the rest of my life? 

Anyway, we really start working on getting pregnant, so the fun has begun.  Lo and behold, we find out at the beginning of December 2007 that I'm pregnant. Six weeks pregnant, to be exact.  Fast forward to January 2008, a week before my husband's birthday and I miscarry.  It was an awful experience and I'm devestated, but being a Weezy, I'm tough and we get back on the horse pretty quickly.  We try and try for a year, finally get pregnant in February 2009, but I lose that one too.  Devestation abounds in the Weezy household because in March, my father in law passes after a long battle with colon cancer...super sad Weezys. Are better times on the horizon, though?  We get pregnant again in April and I manage to stay pregnant for a  whole two weeks before my body betrays me yet again. 

Weezys take a break..  In July 2009, I begin to have a abdominal pain.  This is not unusual for PCOS sufferers, but it steadily gets worse, like to the point that I can't get out of bed, so off to the doctor I go.  My ovaries are huge and there's a nice sized tumor on my right ovary.  We're scared it's cancerous because my bloodwork is all messed up, so surgery is scheduled.  Guadalupe Del Mar (I named my tumor.  You have to know who you're evicting when you're serving notice) is removed and is, thankfully, not cancerous. 

I decide that I need a year off from babies and pregnancy.  We won't prevent, but we won't try super hard either.  I take my year off and then some, and we do not get pregnant during this entire time, but I never miss a period.  My cycles become predictable.  This is strange.  I get a new job with fabulous benefits that actually covers infertility treatments (even IVF and IUIs), so I head to Dr. R who runs a crap ton of blood tests on me and only one on my husband.  I can already tell he's going to have the easier end of this deal.  All tests come back normal, my HSG (xray with dye shot up in my hoo-ha, through the uterus and fallopian tubes) shows all things are clear.  Dr. R says it's scar tissue that's keeping us from getting pregnant, so I have my Lap in September of this year.  Surgery is successful, removes a ton of scar tissue and we're set to begin treatment.

*************************

So that brings everyone up to the current status.   It's been a long and bumpy road.  I'm hoping 2012 will smooth out for us....at least after January 10th.

2 comments: