Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Things just got real

We had our final IVF consult last Thursday.  I am still waiting to hear from the finance department....turns out they're in training until tomorrow.  I am annoyed, but what can you do?  I will just call them twice a day until I speak with an actual person, not a voicemail.  Ugg.

So it turns out my crappy ovaries are good for something...bargains.  Because of my PCOS, I should require less medication than the average infertile bear.  Instead of spending three to four thousand on medication, we only spent $1900.  Joy.  On the baseline ultrasound, I had 11 follicles on my right ovary and 9 on my left.  I started birth control on the 5th this month.  So far it has made me feel exhausted, given me acne, and a small but constant headache.  I thought birth control was supposed to get rid of acne?  Maybe I just have bad skin?

Next Thursday is Husband's birthday and we are off for most of the week.  Festivities will include a quick trip up to St. Aug.ust.ine, a tag renewal, a day with family, then birthday dinner with friends.  We are excited and are looking forward to a little break.  This is our last treat to ourselves before IVF begins, which will hopefully result in a hatchling being hatched.  Speaking of treats, we had to buy  a new washer.  We'll just hemorrhage money, what the hell, right?

On the 24th, I go for my baseline E2 (estrogen check) and then on the 27th I'll start Lupron.  Five days after that, menopur joins the party, and we top it off with some Gonal F (aka the mindfuck drug).  We'll throw in an antibiotic for both Husband and myself, since we cannot afford to get sick during this process.  At the height of the protocol, I will have Lupron, Menopur, and the antibiotic in the morning, with Gonal F for dessert.  It's a little exhausting to think about since most of these are shots.  Right now, I don't have an exact date for retrieval.  Dr. R is going to monitor my E2 and ultrasounds closely to avoid any hyperstimulation.  We're shooting for mid February, possibly earlier if I respond well.

I've read some horror stories about retrieval...that it's painful, you get super bloated and can't put pants on, that it's difficult to umm...poo.  I'm not sure what to think, but I am NOT reading anymore.  No.  None.  It scares me too much.  I'll have a prescription for Vicodin, but progestorone shots starts the night of retrieval.  I heard those hurt like a mutha.  Wait, did I say no more worrying?  I meant that three sentences ago.

The drugs arrived today, early in the morning.  It is weird to look in the fridge and see Lupron and Gonal F right next to the milk and eggs.  Ironically, next to the eggs...HA!  I had a dream last night that I took an egg carton to the retrieval process...it seemed reasonable at the time, ok.  Having the drugs ready and waiting is making this shit real.  Really real. 

Can we whisk these all together and MAGIC, an embryo appears?  

So that's where we are at this moment in time.  Until next time, kiddos.  Go have a drink for me.

XOXO

5 comments:

  1. I'm anxious and so.... your level must be insane. Looking forward to more updates. U r a trooper woman!! :) Wish I had a good remedy for acne! Do one of my natural facials ;) :P or can i just teleport and do it for you?? K, great. I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely PCOS...I guess it has it's good and bads. In the case of IVF we should give it a thumbs up as long as it doesn't cause OHSS. Glad things are moving along and you are being optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I guess PCOS is good for something?! Cracking up (cracking- get it) over the egg carton at retrieval! Thumbs up for less than 2 weeks until the really fun stuff starts and double thumbs up on a getaway! Have a great time and keep us posted on the baseline, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thumbs up for you, mama!! She'll be here soon!

      Delete