Monday, January 6, 2014

An ultrasound, bad broccoli and the possibility of a dead squirrel. And most definitely a unicorn.

The results are in and...drum roll please.......... we are not pregnant.  Wait.  Not that drum roll....this drum roll........ Cycle day two labs are all normal AND I got to have an ultrasound that wasn't even necessary after waiting for thirty minutes.  It was so wonderful and cold in that office, but in the plus column there was a pretty aquatic scene to look at as I was wanded.  Take me away, fishies, take me away!

Also in the plus column was an awful smell that greeted patients as they walked in.  No one was asking, so I asked the receptionist (loudly) "What died".  I'm not exactly known for my tact.  She said she had heard a squirrel running around in the walls on Thursday and wasn't sure if he got out...y'all, she was dead serious.  Someone floated the idea of a fumigator, but the crisis was averted.  Turns out an employee had left broccoli in the fridge to go bad over the weekend.  Squirrel's death was never confirmed or denied, so I'm assuming it's still a possibility.  I'll be sure to update you after my next visit.

So what's next?  Birth control.  People who are not on this infertile trip in hell...I mean, path,  may wonder why birth control is a necessary.  Here's the deal:  The BC pills shut down my hormones and allow the doctors to get control of them.  After that, we have our final consultation in which Dr. R measures how far in he has to go to implant the hatchling.  This measurement is detected by a catheter and from what I understand, it's a painless procedure, but I have to have a full bladder for it.  Joy. 

Our final IVF consult is scheduled for February 4th, which means I get to be on TWO packs of BC, instead of one.  I will skip my February period and go straight into egg producing drugs which will hopefully be retrieved sometime late February or early March.  After that I switch to some other drugs to help me build up a good and healthy lining of the uterus, which will be a nice, comfy home for an embryo or two.  There are a few other sprinklings of hormones to help make estrogen and progesterone, all that are necessary for baby sustenance. 

If this works on the first whirl, I may not have a period for a year and that sounds AAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!!  Could you imagine?  I can't. 

So the road is moving, even if a little bit slowly for my tastes.  I'm working on visualizing Husband and I with a baby, seeing myself pregnant, tired, and loving it.  I just have to find a little faith, which has been in short supply for the better part of my life.



Stay warm, people.  Xoxo

4 comments:

  1. And that title says it all. Best of luck in succeeding on keeping AF away for a year. Possibly longer if you breast feed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I didn't think about that! Even better!

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you and hoping all continues to go well...I hate to do this to you, but I was shocked and actually concerned when it happened with our IVF... You are probably going to have a basically full blown period on Lupron. On the package it says "bleeding is common" BUT it means cramps, bleeding, and pads! I also spotted most of the time I was on my BC (also 2 months) because it is such a low dose. Perhaps you won't be as unlucky as I was, but I was very bummed when I didn't get a year off from my period like I was planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreams dashed!! Haha, it's OK. I'm expecting some spotting on the second round of birth control, but we'll see.

      Delete